Environmental Sciences Department computing policy.
User Accounts / Passwords
1. Department owned computers will utilize a logon password.
2. Minimum password length on Department servers 8 Char.
3. Screen Savers will be set to activate after 15 min. of inactivity.
4. Lock computer desktop/log off, if you leave your work station.
5. Screen Savers will require authentication when logging back on.
6. Do not write down or share your password and leave it at your workstation.
iKey / VPN
1. Turn off the VPN client upon completion of task.
2. Remove and secure iKey upon completion of task.
Computer / Security
1. Create and use a NON-Admin account for daily use.
2. Rooms that house computer/laptop will be secured if not occupied.
3. If possible, utilize an anti-theft device to secure computer/laptop.
4. Anti-Virus Software installed (daily updates)
5. Antispyware software installed (Windows, Defender)
6. Firewall turned on and turn off file sharing.
7. System / Software updated when patches are released.
8. Don’t open files from unknown sources
9. Delete Data Securely (http://www.itc.virginia.edu/security/securedelete/ )
10. Run Identity Finder, Software for Locating Personal Information monthly. http://www.itc.virginia.edu/security/identityfinder/home.html
11. When making purchases online, order only through secure web sites.
12. Access to computers is granted based on individual job responsibilities.
Hosting WordPress websites on our server will require a plugin to protect against brute force attacks. (IE Word Fence)
Use of internet.
1. State Internet Safety: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/support/safety_crisis_management/internet_safety/index.shtml
Institutional Data Protection Standards
Copyright Policies, SSN Initiative, and Electronic Storage of Highly Sensitive Data Policy
1. The policies can be viewed at http://itc.virginia.edu/policy/
Department of Environmental Sciences
291 McCormick Rd, Clark Hall